Project 4: Bow Dazzling
Bow Dazzling is a non-profit organization that was established in 2010 by a childhood cancer survivor and her mom to make and provide bows and headbands for young girls undergoing treatment for cancer and other serious medical conditions. We provide bows to young girls of all ages, from NICU babies to high school and college age girls that are receiving treatment in our children’s hospitals. The organization is based in Hurst, Texas which is centrally located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
For this Take Action Impact Project, you will be decorating hangers to clip the bows on. I have included some example pictures below. Click here to learn more about this organization.
Items you will need:
- Flat wooden shirt hangers (prefer no cross bars for pants) (pro: Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Container store, and Amazon) * Click here to see best hangers to buy.
- Paintbrushes (Michael’s Artist’s Loft brand has some great value packs)
- Acrylic paint (we use a bunch of Americana brand from Michael’s in the 2oz. containers) metallic and glitter paint is good too.
- Little cups to rinse paint brushes
- Paper plates for paint choices (a dime size squirt of paint goes a long way on the small surface of the hanger)
- Paper towels
- Place for hangers to dry
- Plastic table cloth
- Spread out plastic table cloth on table and create painting station.
- Think about what design you want to paint on the hanger. (Christmas/Winter holiday themes are good. Also any other ideas such as polka dots, stripes, flowers, etc. inspirational and complementary words are appreciated too)
- Grab your hanger and lay it flat on the table
- Pour you paint colors on the paper plates
- Start painting your design! **Volunteers only need to paint one side of the hanger. The other side will be covered with glue and ribbon. The edges of the hanger do not require paint but it is ok if you want to paint it. I am attaching some picture examples below.
- After you are happy with the hanger design, let them dry overnight. **You can just leave them on the table to dry.
- Fill out the event form and download the reflection guide to reflect with your group! This is located on the Take Action Impact Project home page.
- Deliver to Bow Dazzling! **I would call Tisha Weems to figure out a day/time to drop off the hangers. Her number is below.