Project 6: Calm Down Bottles
Alliance For Children is the children’s advocacy center serving all of Tarrant County. Since 1992, over 55,000 children have benefited from Alliance For Children’s teamed investigations and coordinated approach. Alliance For Children is a nonprofit organization that operates child-friendly centers located in Arlington, Fort Worth, Hurst and Lakeside. It is our mission to protect Tarrant County children from child abuse through teamed investigations, healing services and community education.
For this Take Action Impact Project. You will be creating sensory bottles for children who are going through court cases from suffering abuse. These “Calm Down Bottles” help calm children down when they feel angry, anxious, or upset which are all common emotions in abused children.
I have attached some example pictures below of the sensory bottles. Feel free to be creative with the bottles. You can add beads, sequins, googly eyes, etc. to make the bottles fun! This is just a few examples, you can personalize the bottles however you like. For more information about Alliance for Children click here.
Items You Will Need:
- Hard Plastic Bottle (Pro tip: Click here for a great cheap option).
- Warm Water
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Thickening Agent (Options for this are glycerin, clear glue, glitter glue, baby oil)
- Beads, sequins, glitter, etc. (these are optional)
- Super glue
- Find a hard plastic bottle
- Fill the bottle half way with warm water
- Add food coloring if desired (You can add as many colors as you like!)
- Add your thickening medium (About 1 tablespoon)
- Add beads, sequins, glitter, etc.
- Add a bit more warm water but do not fill all the way to the top.
- I would super glue the top on the bottle so there is not any spillage when the bottle is shaken.
- Shake the bottle!
- Fill out the event form and download the reflection guide to reflect with your group! This is located on the Take Action Impact Project home page.
- Take the bottles to the Fort Worth Alliance for Children.
Alliance for Children
908 Southland Ave. Fort Worth, TX, 76109